Thursday, February 01, 2007

"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one" (L. J. Burke).

I’m about to finish the better part of a week of solo-parenting. SIGH!

Once again, D. Jr. managed to be sick for my days of solitude. From Saturday to Wednesday, I did not manage to scrimp together more than 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day.

When Daniel was a few months old, I recall more seasoned parents telling me that the whole lack of sleep thing gets easier over time. LIES!! BLATANT LIES!! I think this is just one of the many ploys that parents use to convert others to the tired side. The sleep deprivation thing does not get easier over time. D. Jr. is 16 months old now and for the most part is a pretty champion sleeper (except when he’s sick and puking/awake every few hours). The thing is, he is 16 months old. Yes, I should have a better handle on the no sleep thing by now after 16 months of it. However,

*En route to work on Wednesday I started crying in the car. The cause? The radio morning show was doing a FUNNY segment on “man tears” and what makes men cry. Guys were calling in “confessing” the tear jerkers in their lives. One guy called in and just said “The Littlest Hobo.” Then they started playing the theme song. I started weeping in the car.

*During my morning baby and me program, I almost forgot the words to one of the nursery rhymes I use all the time. This ain’t exactly rocket science, but I just blanked.

*I explained the situation to my boss and she suggested that I go home early (which I did!).

So now the solo parenting gig is about to end. I am actually going to get some amount of sleep tonight (knock on wood) and wonder how all the single parents out there (female and male alike) manage to do this all the time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM , Blogger Momily said...

Oh, and if you're not Canadian this might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo

 
At 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momily,

I feel your pain... I've never tried to "blow smoke" when it comes to the whole sleep issue. My kids have never, ever, ever slept like babies. Aarrggh! It has been nearly 9 years, and, well, I still have days when I cry at the drop of a hat, can't remember my name and feel like I'm part of some nazi sleep experiment!! I think it might get better once we're grandparents!!!!
Sweet dreams.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home