Thursday, December 18, 2008

More of the season or I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

I’m alternating between total Grinch and holidayholic and I’m attributing my bipolar bear self to that most wonderful time of the month also coinciding with the most wonderful time of the year.

In my defense, though, I feel I must point out that today, with the windchill it is about minus 30 degrees Celsius. I’m not kidding. It’s been like this for a week. For any Americans out there, the equivalent in Fahrenheit is minus 22. If you don’t believe me take a look at the weather that is in our weather future: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAAB0103

This is the view from my front door. See how the road – maybe you can’t really see it, but the white expanse between my house and the park with cars on it is actually road – is covered in ice and snow? This is as good as it gets between now and April unless there is a melt -- because we are not on a bus route, our city does not clear the road. Again, not joking.







But do you also see how freakin’ postcard winter wonderland beautiful it all is? See how I’m torn between either extreme this season?

Yesterday while visiting Santa, no one freaked out or cried. The picture is a bit mediocre (I don’t have it my hands yet!), but there is certainly an inkling of family fun. D. Jr. asked Santa for a “dragon, a cow, and presents.” At least we can deliver on the “presents” front!

This is our tree. A couple of years ago we bought this smaller fake, pre-lit tree that is actually supposed to be for outdoor use! I much prefer a large real tree covered in breakable things, but not TOO bad huh? It’s a bit more “country Christmas” and Charlie Brown-esque than I go for, but I like it.


Thank god and the baby Jesus, that we have things like the Godzilla and Hellraiser angel to offset the total hoakiness it!



Anyway, merry freakin’ ho-ho! Also, may the joy and good tidings of the season fill your hearts with warmth and happiness. For reals.

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM , Blogger Laura said...

your winter wonderland is BEAUTIFUL. And I think we are all a bit schizo this time of year....that is the beauty of Christmas!

 
At 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I’m alternating between total Grinch and holidayholic and I’m attributing my bipolar bear self to that most wonderful time of the month also coinciding with the most wonderful time of the year."

I couldn't have said it better myself! My DH asked me, "who are you this year, Scrooge??" I feel so totally overwhelmed an emotional, but then so excited for my kids at the same time! Damn Hormones!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home