Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The new bundle

Our daughter, Lydia Ella, was born healthy and happy on April 6th. It has been hard slogging to say the least – moms must really get amnesia to be willing to do all of this all over again!

What has been surprising is that D Jr. is having quite a hard time adjusting. I’m thankful that he has been kind, gentle and loving with the baby, but he has regressed in some ways and clearly feels threatened and that his world is now upside down. Unfortunately, one of his regressions has been to throw tantrums at naps and bedtimes and to be up a lot in the night, which is obviously the last thing we need with a new baby. This has affected us in a huge way – D. Sr. sleeps in the basement bedroom and is on D. Jr. duty. I sleep upstairs with the baby in her bassinette (or our bed depending on her moods). Because I am going to bed by 9 or 10 pm at the latest, we are currently not seeing as much of each other as we would like. At some point, we need to establish a “date night” where we take the baby with us and someone looks after D. Jr, but because D. Jr. feels so neglected I think that will have to wait.

I would love to write more, but I simply can’t right now! I found this children’s poem recently and thought it pretty much sums up the second child experience:

Some Things Don't Make Any Sense at All by Judith Viorst
(from If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries)


My mom says I'm her sugarplum.

My mom says I'm her lamb.

My mom says I'm completely perfect

Just the way I am.

My mom says I'm a super-special wonderful terrific little guy.

My mom just had another baby.

Why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home